About Face Lift: The Power of Portraits
Showcasing portraits from the Gibbes collection of art of the American South, the exhibition Face Lift: The Power of Portraits closely examines the rich range of styles, functions, and mediums that portraiture has encompassed over the last three centuries. By pairing works together based on various themes, attention is drawn to specific characteristics of portraiture, such as pose, costume, likeness, size, and medium. Comparisons of these elements invite viewers to indulge in the many, powerful stories a portrait can tell.
About Face Lift: Caption This! Contest
We invite you to use your wit and clever observations to create a caption that expresses your interpretation of the pairings we have arranged. What conversation might the two sitters be having? What does the setting bring to mind? Log in to our blog and post your snappy summary in the comment field of our weekly post. Each week, our staff will choose our favorite entry and the winner will receive a free pass to visit the museum and view the exhibition. At the end of the exhibition, all winning entries will be entered into a drawing and one lucky contributor will win a facial from The Spa at Charleston Place.
1. Each week, during the run of the Face Lift exhibition, the Gibbes Museum of Art will post a pair of portraits on our blog and open comments for your suggested captions.
2. The weekly contest begins on the date of publication of the pair and ends at 11:59pm on the seventh day after publication. For the exact date of entry for the current contest please refer to the publish date on the blog post.
3. Entrants represent and warrant that their submission is their original work, it has not been copied from others, and it does not violate the rights of any other person or entry.
4. By submitting a caption on one of the Face Lift: Caption This! contest posts, you authorize the Gibbes Museum and/or others authorized by the Gibbes Museum shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify the submission. Each entrant releases and discharges the Gibbes Museum, any party associated with the development or administration of the Contest, their employees, agents or representatives from any and all liability in connection with the contest, including without limitation, legal claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages, demand or actions of any kind.
5. Subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void outside the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited.
6. By participating in the contest, you authorize the Gibbes Museum of Art to use your submission for educational and promotional purposes related to the Face Lift exhibition, and for archival purposes in any media.
How to Participate:
1. Visit the Gibbes Museum of Art blog at http://www.gibbesmuseum.org/gibbes_blog/ and select the current week’s pairing.
2. Log in to add a comment and submit your caption for the pair of artworks.
3. Only one submission per person or email address per week is permitted.
What to Expect from the Gibbes Museum:
1. Comments will be moderated before being posted on our blog. Off-topic comments, captions containing foul language, or any submission deemed inappropriate by Gibbes Museum staff will not be posted.
2. Each week, curator Sara Arnold will present a new pair of artworks for your consideration.
3. The Gibbes Museum reserves the sole discretion over the selection of, and the decision not to select, any caption submitted on the blog.
4. One winner will be selected from each weekly Face Lift: Caption This! contest by a member or members of the curatorial and editorial staff of the Gibbes Museum of Art. In the event two or more valid entries contain the identical caption (including punctuation) and are selected as a finalist, the Gibbes staff will draw the finalist by random selection.
5. The qualified winner of each weekly Face Lift: CaptionThis! contest will receive a free-admission pass to the Gibbes Museum of Art. At the end of the contest, all winning entries will be entered into a drawing and one entrant will win a facial from The Spa at Charleston Place.
How to view all submissions:
Contact Lasley Steever at email@example.com with any questions.
adminlasley Sep.09.2010 3 Comments »