As the oldest arts institution in South Carolina, the Gibbes Museum of Art pursues a century-old tradition of excellence. Through our thought-provoking special exhibitions, presentation of and research on our significant permanent collection, and educational programs for all ages, the Gibbes is a true leader in the cultural and educational life of the Lowcountry and the South.
Gibbes Annual Fund
Your gift to the Gibbes Annual Fund, above and beyond annual membership dues, is essential to cultivating a broader audience and advancing a creative spirit in our community.
Yes, I want to give to the Gibbes Annual Fund!
Framing the Future: A Campaign for Excellence
In March, 2011, the Gibbes Museum launched its leadership phase of Framing the Future: A Campaign for Excellence. At that time, it was determined through review by outside consultants/specialists that facilities restoration and programmatic expansion were critical if the Gibbes expected to sustain its role as the regional leader in arts education in the 21st century. Specifically, the campaign addresses the following goals:
- ensure the relevance and vibrancy of the Gibbes Museum of Art for future generations with a facility renovation that respects the intent and beauty of the original Beaux Arts building while introducing state-of-the-art systems for security, environmental controls, visitor amenities, and facilities for collections care;
- expand educational and enrichment programs to reach new PreK-12 and adult audiences by leveraging the museum's origin as an academy-style institution for the study of art;
- engage all visitors to Charleston by serving as a central hub for an appreciation of the city's nationally-significant fine and decorative art, architecture, and historic preservation;
- support and inspire Charleston's creative community through artist-in-residence and master class programs as well as vibrant lecture, film, and performance series; and
- create and ensure a viable business model, with robust initiatives to secure earned income.
Currently, $7.3 million has been secured in pledges and contributions. 42% of that total was from individual pledges and donations; 47% from government sources; and 11% from foundations. Expenses have remained very low during this time period at $150,066. This is less than 2% of the total amount raised.
The total goal for the campaign is $15 million, with $10 million to support the facility restoration and renewal; $2 million to serve as bridge funds for collection storage and office re-location and rental during closure; and $3 million for endowment support. Since the end of the fiscal year an additional $2,408,203 has been raised through government and private support.
Yes, I want to give to the Gibbes Capital Campaign!
For questions or further information on our Annual Fund or Capital Campaign, contact Jennifer Ross, Coordinator of Major Gifts and Grants, at 843-722-2706 x16 or firstname.lastname@example.org.