For Immediate Release
The Gibbes Museum of Art and Exclusive Charleston Hotels Announce Exhibition Packages
Photography and the American Civil War
The Gibbes Museum of Art has partnered with select properties to offer guests a variety of unique packages that celebrate the exhibition, Photography and the American Civil War. Organized by The Metropolitan Museum of Art, this landmark exhibition brings together more than 200 of the finest and most poignant photographs of the American Civil War. This camera recording from beginning to end tells the story of the heartbreaking narrative of the epic four-year war, in which 750,000 lives were lost. From haunting battlefield landscapes strewn with bodies, to languorous camp scenes showing exhausted troops in repose; this exhibit features groundbreaking works by noted photographers of the day.
“These packages offer visitors a unique opportunity to become immersed in the history of the Civil War with a private tour led by a museum curator,” says Gibbes Museum Executive Director Angela Mack. Luxury accommodations, fine dining, and tours of additional Civil War sights in Charleston accentuate these packages.
The six properties include: Zero George, Charleston Place, the Mills House, the Elliott House, Francis Marion, and Wild Dunes Resort. Highlights of each package are listed below.
Zero George, starts at $329 per night, based on double occupancy, and includes:
• Two night historic accommodations
• Guests will look through the lens into a curator led tour of the Photography and the American Civil War exhibition at the Gibbes Museum of Art, a planned itinerary,
• Guided walking tour
• Lunch reservations made by our concierges at one of Charleston’s best restaurants.
Francis Marion, starts at $159 per night, based on double occupancy, and includes:
• Luxury accommodations
• Two tickets per night of your choice: Fort Sumter National Monument, Civil War & Slavery tour by Old Charleston Walking Tours, The Charleston Museum, Gibbes Museum of Art.
• This choice includes a 10% discount at the Gibbes Museum Shop.
Wild Dunes Resort, starts at $330 per night, based on double occupancy, and includes:
• Accommodations for two nights
• Two full day adult bike rentals
• Private, curator led tour for two
• Signed copy of the Gibbes’ Photography and the American Civil War catalog, documenting the exhibit’s legendary photography.
The Elliott House Inn, starts at $214 per night, based on double occupancy, and includes:
• Deluxe accommodations for one night
• A private curator led tour for two
• $25 gift certificate to the SC Historical Society Gift Shop
• Evening wine & cheese reception
Packages are also offered at Charleston Place and The Mills House.
For package details and to make reservations, visit the Charleston Area Convention and Visitor’s Bureau website at: Gibbesmuseumpackages
GIBBES MUSEUM OF ART
Established as the Carolina Art Association in 1858, the Gibbes Museum of Art opened its doors to the public in 1905 in historic Charleston, S.C. The Gibbes houses one of the foremost collections of American Art from the 18th century to the present. The Gibbes is currently undergoing major renovations and will reopen in the spring of 2016. The renovated museum will properly showcase its extensive collections and will feature an admission-free ground floor, providing a place to watch artists at work in studios and stroll through a world-class garden.
135 Meeting Street | Charleston, SC | 29401