at the Gibbes
- Explore the watercolor paintings by Stephen Mueller and Carl Palazzolo, created over a period of two decades when the artists visited Charleston during Spoleto season, on view in The Spoleto Watercolors of Stephen Mueller and Carl Palazzolo From the Collection of David and Carol Rawle. Inspired by friendship, the rich culture of the Spoleto Festival, and the lush lowcountry environment, Mueller and Palazzolo found a perfect setting to explore the lyrical medium of watercolor in distinctive, though complementary, styles.
- On Friday, May 24, artist Carl Palazzolo will lead the tour
- On Thursdays, June 6 and July 11, curator Pam Wall will lead visitors through the exhibition
- Blue Star Museums offers free admission to all active duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day, May 27, through Labor Day, September 2, 2013 during Gibbes Museum hours.
- Visit the Blue Star Museums website for more information.
- The Art of Healing is a program series highlighting the interconnectiveness of art and health. Roper St. Francis surgeon, Dr. Jeb Hallett, will join Dr. Joseph John, Jr. of MUSC, collector David Rawle and artist Carl Palazzolo for a conversation to discuss the works created by Palazzolo and fellow artist Stephen Mueller. The conversation will take place in the exhibition Spoleto Watercolors of Stephen Mueller and Carl Palazzolo from the Collection of David and Carol Rawle.
- PURCHASE A MEMBER TICKET
- PURCHASE A NON-MEMBER TICKET
- Free-Admission Sundays are held on select Second Sundays on King to offer visitors the opportunity to experience the Gibbes’ collection and exhibitions free of charge.
- Campers will work with practicing artists and museum teachers, explore the museum’s galleries for inspiration, and create their own fantastic artwork!
- Young artists can choose from three themes: Traditional Printmaking, Modern Art of the Gibbes Museum, and Charleston and the Sea.
- Classes will be held across from the museum at the Circular Congregational Church. Campers will meet at the Gibbes each morning.
- Click here for more information on session dates and to download a registration form (PDF).
- Reception and preview of our new exhibition The Spoleto Watercolors of Stephen Mueller and Carl Palazzolo From the Collection of Carol and David Rawle. Music, wine, and light hors d'oeuvres will be provided.
- David Rawle, Carl Palazzolo, Jill Weinberg Adams, and Roberta Sokolitz will give brief remarks at the beginning of the evening.
- RSVP to email@example.com or call 843.722.2706 x.21.
- Drop in for a buffet luncheon in the Gibbes Courtyard following the Spoleto Festival USA Opening Ceremonies.
- Following the luncheon, enjoy an artist talk by Carl Palazzolo in The Spoleto Watercolors exhibition at 2:30pm.
- RSVP by May 16 to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843.722.2706 x. 22.
- Society 1858 events are made possible in part by our annual sponsorship partners: Wells Fargo, Lou Hammond & Associates, Dixon Hughes Goodman LLP, and Maybank Industries.
Society 1858 and Spoleto SCENE Social
Sunday, June 2, 5pm
Guided tour: Free to members of Society 1858 and Spoleto SCENE
Spoleto Performance: varied pricing depending on ticket level. See below for details.
- Society 1858 and Spoleto SCENE are teaming up during Spoleto Festival USA to celebrate the visual and performing arts!
- Begin the evening at the Gibbes Museum of Art for a tour of The Spoleto Watercolors of Stephen Mueller and Carl Palazzolo from the Collection of David and Carol Rawle with artist Carl Palazzolo and collector David Rawle, followed by a wine reception. Stroll down Queen Street from the museum to the Historic Dock Street Theatre for an 8pm performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream by Bristol Old Vic in association with Handspring Puppet Company.
- 5pm: Exhibition tour and reception at the Gibbes Museum of Art, free to members of Society 1858 and Spoleto SCENE. RSVP to email@example.com with your name and email to reserve your spot.
- 8pm: Spoleto Performance at the Dock Street Theatre. Spoleto SCENE and Society 1858 members are eligible for 15% off regular pricing until May 25. Use promo code GIBBES13 on spoletousa.org, at the Festival Kiosk, or over the phone: 843.579.3100.
Docent Guided Tours
Every Friday at 2:30pm
Free with museum admission.
- Museum docents lead 30 minute tours through the museum's collection and special exhibition galleries.
- Tours begin in the Gibbes' Welcome Gallery promptly at 2:30pm.
- Reservations are not required. Groups of 10 or more must schedule a tour in advance. Learn more about Group Tours.
- The Gibbes Museum of Art is committed to enhancing school curricula through the arts. In support of that mission, the Gibbes offers specialized tours and workshops for K - 12 grade students in the Charleston Tri-County area. Addressing key themes and ideas found in the Gibbes permanent collection and traveling exhibitions, these interactive programs are designed to encourage critical thinking and visual literacy skills while addressing South Carolina Learning Standards.
- See a list of tour topics for K - 12 Grade Groups, as well as pricing information and registration details.
Art Lovers' Private Access Package (Accommodations and Private Tour)
By reservation at Charleston Place Hotel
Package Rates: from $320 per room, per night includes:
•Private access tour for two of the Gibbes Museum of Art
•$40 credit towards à la carte breakfast for two in the Palmetto Café daily
•Valet parking for one car
•High speed Internet access
- Spend a Sunday night in complete luxury at Charleston Place Hotel, followed by breakfast Monday morning at the Four Diamond Palmetto Café, and then take a one-block stroll down Meeting Street to the Beaux Arts splendor of the Gibbes Museum of Art. Closed to the public on Mondays, Charleston’s signature art museum will open its doors to you for a private Curator-led tour of Charleston’s treasures.
- To book your special rates simply enter GIBBES into the field "Got a Promotion Code" as you search your dates and your rate will automatically return if it is available. www.charlestonplace.com/Gibbestour
- Please Note: Rates do not include taxes or gratuities, package is subject to availability and cannot be combined with any other offers or packages.
- The Gibbes Museum of Art tour is not available on Mondays that are federal holidays
Charleston Renaissance (1915) to Today
Daily by appointment
The ticket price of $55 includes the Gibbes Renaissance tour with readmission to the museum, a visit to six galleries, champagne, chocolate and gift bag.
- Charleston Art Tours offers this intimate tour that starts at the Gibbes with an overview of the Charleston Renaissance period, followed by a guided walking tour of galleries throughout the French Quarter.
- For reservations call 843-860-3327 or visit www.charlestonarttours.com.
- The Women's Council of the Gibbes Museum of Art presents quarterly programs that are open to the public by reservation through a Women's Council member. These programs are free for prospective members of the Women's Council and the Gibbes Museum of Art.