When the Gibbes Museum opened in 1905, the nation celebrated what Charleston has always understood: the power of art – to inspire our imagination, heal our hurt, and nourish our souls.

Before, Jeremiah Theus conservation

Placeholder

Before, Jeremiah Theus conservation

Portrait of Elizabeth Allen Deas (Mrs. John Deas), 1759, attributed to Jeremiah Theus
Images courtesy of Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Related Content